Mental wellness, a facet of mental health, refers to your optimal state of emotional, psychological, and social well-being. According to the WHO, mental wellness is “a state of well-being in which the individual realizes his or her own abilities can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to his or her community.” Therefore, if your mental health has declined, you should look for the best appropriate treatment method. One of your options, a mental wellness center, should have these 4 qualities.
1. It offers multiple levels of care
Mental health problems present differently. Naturally, some people will have more severe symptoms than others. A good treatment center will recognize that and offers care at multiple levels. These include:
- Inpatient and Residential Care: The most intense of options, inpatient care involves living at a facility and receiving treatment from a team of doctors, nurses and social workers.
- Outpatient Treatment: You have a few options with outpatient care. Intensive outpatient programs and partial hospitalization programs provide structure while you live at home. You can also choose to visit a therapist and go at your own pace.
- Early Intervention and Prevention: This includes bringing awareness of mental illness and its effects to the wider community.
2. It treats your issue holistically
Good mental health programs look at you as a whole and treat all aspects of your declining health. For example, if you suffer from both an addiction and a mental health disorder, you should be treated for both at the same time. Additionally, this means the treatment center should focus on taking care of your physical health in addition to your mental health. Look for one that provides exercises, like yoga and basketball.
3. It offers evidence-based treatment programs
Your treatment should be grounded in practices that have proven to be effective. Medication and psychotherapy are often thought to be the best options for improving mental health. However, that does not mean there is no room for alternative types of care in your treatment program. Instead, it means that medication and therapy should form the basis of your care, with alternative practices added in as supplements.
4. It provides ongoing support and aftercare
Treatment shouldn’t stop when you leave the mental wellness center. From day one, admissions should follow your journey and make sure you end up in a caring place after you leave. This may mean staying at a place other than your home if you believe it could hinder your recovery.
We Can Help You
Port St. Lucie Hospital specializes in mental health services and is located on 20 acres near the beautiful Savannas Preserve. If you or one of your loved ones is struggling with an age-related cognitive decline, we can help. Our 24-hour mental health services are provided by licensed professionals in various disciplines. We tailor our programs to our patient’s needs and will help you every step of the way.
We welcome you to our facility. From support groups to individual therapy treatment options, we are here to fight the battle with you. Reach out to us online today. You can also call us at 772-408-5871.